Clear all

Move Directive

4 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
(@bluch)
Topic starter  

Hello David,

I have a question about the Move [M] Directive in ESR Series 3.

The point 2.3.3 says “The regulating unit must move straightest, [...] unless following a road or avoiding embarrasing terrain.“ and "The regulating unit may not contact the ennemy [...]".

What about if there is an ennemy’s formation between objective and my formation?

In open terrain without road and embarrassing terrain I undurstand that my formation must walk straight to the ennemey, stop then switch into Defense Directive.

As the formation must avoid contact, is it possible to move by a path that makes my formation bypass the ennemy’s formation?

To tell the truth, I look for an easy way to turn the ennemy’s position to get him into trouble 😉 

This seems to be possible if there is a road nearby, but impossible if there is no road.

Thanks for your help.

David
(@david)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: @bluch

The point 2.3.3 says “The regulating unit must move straightest, [...] unless following a road or avoiding embarrasing terrain.“ and "The regulating unit may not contact the ennemy [...]".

What about if there is an ennemy’s formation between objective and my formation?

The Regulating Unit is required to stop short of contacting the enemy. So, the Regulating Unit must move directly at the Objective at its full movement, but has to halt short of making contact with any enemy.

In open terrain without road and embarrassing terrain I undurstand that my formation must walk straight to the ennemey, stop then switch into Defense Directive.

Not the Formation, the Regulating Unit. The rest of the Formation's Units have to move to end Cohesive. This allows you a fair amount of latitude in shifting the Formation's frontage, but it does still require the Formation's movement vector respect the Force Objective.

That said, yes, the Regulating Unit must walk straight towards the Force Objective under those conditions and if there is an intervening enemy, they will walk straight at that enemy, stopping short of contact and eventually Converting to Defend [D].

As the formation must avoid contact, is it possible to move by a path that makes my formation bypass the ennemy’s formation?

Nope.

To tell the truth, I look for an easy way to turn the ennemy’s position to get him into trouble 😉 

This seems to be possible if there is a road nearby, but impossible if there is no road.

This is why roads and terrain are important, because they can be used to accomplish what you're looking for.

That said, you can also place your Force Objective left (or right) of the enemy Formation's flank, thus requiring your Formation to move past their frontage. Then, once you have your Formation(s) positioned as desired on 'step off points', change your Objective to a new location behind the enemy line, and launch your attack(s).

That said, if you're not doing something to pin the enemy in place, they will react and adjust to your movement.

Thanks for your help.

No problem, hope it helped!

This post was modified 2 years ago by David

-David

ReplyQuote
(@bluch)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @david

No problem, hope it helped!

Yes, it does. Even if it confirms what I feared (hehe) 🙄 

Posted by: @david

you can also place your Force Objective left (or right) of the enemy Formation's flank, thus requiring your Formation to move past their frontage.

Yes I have already thought of this solution. I hoped another one because the placing the Force Objective left (or right) can be a problem for the other formations of the force. I will have to deal with that. 😀 

Thanks again.

David reacted
ReplyQuote
David
(@david)
Reputable Member Admin

Yes I have already thought of this solution. I hoped another one because the placing the Force Objective left (or right) can be a problem for the other formations of the force. I will have to deal with that. 😀 

Definitely, but the Support [S] Directive is a big help here. You can potentially have either your intended flanking Formation on Support [S], allowing it to swing wide[r] than your pinning Formation, or have your pinning Formation on Support [S] for your flanking Formation, allowing it to Convert to Attack [A] or Defend [D] as deemed necessary and when appropriately placed.

Generally speaking, once within 900 yards of each other, you're probably not going to want multiple Formations on Move [M], but rather one on Move [M] or Attack [A] and others on Support [S] to provide flexibility.

-David

ReplyQuote
Share: