Clear all

Legacy of Glory as forerunner

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@agathosdaimon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi David, a boxed set of rules I have which I got cheap years ago but never actually got round to learning is Legacy of Glory. I live the concepts in LoG but could never figure out own to set up a game or whether it could be played solo or even with just two people

So although ESR is the spiritual successor and looks to be a lot more playable, can I still just ask whether you think Legacy of Glory is still worth a look in and attempt to play. So you have any advice for how to approach LoG - just out of curiosity for older rules systems

David
(@david)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: @agathosdaimon

can I still just ask whether you think Legacy of Glory is still worth a look in and attempt to play. So you have any advice for how to approach LoG - just out of curiosity for older rules systems

Depends on what you're looking to accomplish. Looking backward LoG is going to feel very "of its time", though at the time it was a pretty evolutionary forward step. It introduced a whole bunch of concepts could have, should have? significantly changed "grand tactical" wargaming. As to how to approach trying to learn and run it… like a puzzle. Large parts of the difficulty were that there is inconsistency inherent in descriptions vs terminology and within the terminology itself, so in order to run it you really have to get your head around what was meant vs what was written.

-David

ReplyQuote
(@agathosdaimon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ah right, thanks for that insight as i am always keen to know about this one being that it is such a beautiful box that the rules are in i look at that Meissonier painting of the Cuirassiers at Friedland and want to play it

ReplyQuote
(@sq_rigger)

Agathosdaimon,

I played LoG a few times and liked the rules, but my armies were 15mm and mounted such that we had to use 50-yard ground scale.  At that scale, an Austrian korps defending on a 2-division front took up 16 feet of table width and 3 feet of depth, far too much for at-home play and really too big even for conventions.  If I'd just been starting with Napoleonic miniatures I might have gone with 2mm figures and been able to stage reasonable battles in my basement, but I already had about 2,000 figures painted and mounted and another 1,500 unpainted figures.

Regards, Ken Valentine

ReplyQuote
Share: