Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Cavalry and Artillery movement in rough/dense terrain

5 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@madmac)
Topic starter  

Are there any restrictions on cavalry/artillery movement in rough or dense terrain (when compared to infantry)?  Also, should cavalry be able to charge into contact within rough/dense terrain?

David reacted
David
(@david)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: @madmac

Are there any restrictions on cavalry/artillery movement in rough or dense terrain (when compared to infantry)?  Also, should cavalry be able to charge into contact within rough/dense terrain?

On a scenario basis this can/does/should vary, but as a general rule, the movement is treated the same, rough terrain costs double and dense terrain requires a halt on contact and exit in addition to costing double. However… there is an optional rule for cavalry automatically receiving Fatigue (you'll see it on the outside column in a gray bubble along side 4.2.1).

Also of note, the subtle impact of bad terrain on cavalry is that the most powerful aspect of cavalry is its ability to convert to Attack [A], this is directly hindered by bad terrain as cavalry can not convert against a target it can't hit and rough terrain will reduce the distance the cavalry can reach. Dense terrain is yet worse as since most cavalry must halt upon contacting dense terrain, cuirassiers, dragoons, and the like simply can not convert to Attack [A] against a target in dense terrain because they can't successfully move to contact in a single move.

Artillery is slightly hampered in a couple of similar ways, while artillery gets a 'free' move when being committed from the Formation Reserve, that move still pays normal movement penalties, so any dense terrain causes it to halt short and rough terrain reduces its movement distance. Additionally there is an optional rule for sighting through dense terrain (you'll find it adjacent to 5.1) that reduces the distance it may resolve fire at, thus making setting up in dense terrain less useful.

Hope those answers help!

This post was modified 4 years ago by David

-David

ReplyQuote
(@madmac)
Topic starter  

@david. Thank you.....perfect response. I greatly appreciate it....

David reacted
ReplyQuote
(@uncleleo)

Piggybacking on this old question:  Cavalry charging into rough or better still DENSE terrain... I'm sure you're certain of your response above but... "your honor, i object..."   citing as precedent the Kobryn scenario - from Russian recommended tactics:  "while the Russian force is significantly superior in strength, its cavalry is largely neutralized unless the French choose to fight outside of built up areas."   

Yes, the subtle difference noted above mitigates this notion, HOWEVER...  the light and irregular forces are all Russian, except for the Saxon Uhlans.  So in fact, the cavalry forces in this scenario are the terrain advantaged forces over the Saxon infantry. 

I grant storming headlong and piecemeal into the Saxons would likely result in defeat, but a patient Russian approach will result in the terrain FAVORING the light and irregular cavalry in dense terrain over the line Saxon infantry once they come to grips in the town.  its the only the Saxon light cavalry which in fact not put at a disadvantage from the rough and dense terrain

Thoughts ? 

This post was modified 3 years ago by uncleleo

ReplyQuote
David
(@david)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: @uncleleo

Yes, the subtle difference noted above mitigates this notion, HOWEVER...  the light and irregular forces are all Russian, except for the Saxon Uhlans.  So in fact, the cavalry forces in this scenario are the terrain advantaged forces over the Saxon infantry. 

Light cavalry still take Fatigue when entering rough or dense terrain if using the optional rule for such, just slightly less Fatigue, but still enough to be significant. I assume the advantage you're talking about is the +1 in Combat Resolution for Lights [L] or Irregulars [I] fighting in dense terrain. If that's the case, I'd encourage the use of the optional rule on page 54 regarding Characteristics:

OPTIONAL RULE:
Cavalry with the light [L] characteristic only receive the bonus for fighting in dense terrain when resolving combat
against other cavalry

Which would obviously negate such. Even if your group doesn't choose to use the second optional rule, though I think it would be appropriate, the Fatigue is pretty painful and can blunt most cavalry attacks into bad terrain.

-David

ReplyQuote
Share: