Leadership Specialities

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
denny
(@denny)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm reading through the rules for the first time and everything is very nicely written and clear.

I notice that only the French have Leadership Specialities of Mass Cavalry and Grand Battery, as was their tactics.

Did you consider Leader Specialities for the British? Mass Square for example?

The combat factors make cavalry vs infantry a near even fight, currently. If the battalions of a formation had been organised into squares by the leader, then the combat would obviously be more one sided in favour of the defending squares.

What are your thoughts?

David
(@david)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: @denny

Did you consider Leader Specialities for the British? Mass Square for example?

Not sure I understand what 'mass square' is.

The combat factors make cavalry vs infantry a near even fight, currently. If the battalions of a formation had been organised into squares by the leader, then the combat would obviously be more one sided in favour of the defending squares.

What are your thoughts?

Actually, the individual battalions are assumed to be in the optimal formation based on the success of the Combat Resolution roll. So in effect, a Formation Commander (or Army/Force Commander who has Taken Personal Command) with a higher Tactical Rating [TR] modifies this, as does a higher Combat Rating [CR] for the Unit.

But, to take a step back, cavalry and infantry aren't an even fight in ESR. While the Combat Resolution roll will likely put them quite close, the consequences for participation are radically different.

For a cavalry Unit to participate in Combat Resolution and *not Fatigue* it has to win by 4+.

However, for an infantry Unit to Fatigue, it has to lose by 4+ (or 7+ if supported).

Net result is that cavalry begins in the hole by starting "roughly even".

I notice that only the French have Leadership Specialities of Mass Cavalry and Grand Battery, as was their tactics.

Actually, those aren't exclusive to the French, they are just predominant in the French. The characteristics are there for the purpose of allowing players creating scenarios to apply them as they deem fit to allow commanders to function as they did historically. These are more born out in the various Campaign Guides as those are done with a close eye to who managed to do what during a given campaign.

I'm reading through the rules for the first time and everything is very nicely written and clear.

Thank you!

-David

ReplyQuote
denny
(@denny)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks David, for answering.

I should have looked more closely at the combat resolution results.

I just need to play through a game now.

ReplyQuote
David
(@david)
Reputable Member Admin

Thanks David, for answering.

I should have looked more closely at the combat resolution results.

I just need to play through a game now.

No problem, the balance of ESR is a lot more nuanced and integrated than most systems people are used to. The common/normal approach of "look at the inputs" to determine the balance, ESR takes a more complex design approach in that the outputs are also part of the balancing.

-David

ReplyQuote
Share: