Notifications
Clear all

Relative Size of Formations  

RSS

niggle
(@niggle)
13/09/2020 8:11 am  

I have just started playing ESR and I am enjoying exploring the rules.  In one game two formations were skirmishing.  One had twelve units and the other had only six.  Both formations had four Fatigue.  Due to the disparity in strengths the smaller formation looks to be in a worse state but in the Assessment both formations have an equal chance of an adverse result (all other things being equal), such as having to retire their artillery, purely because they have the same number of Fatigue.  As far as I can see the Assessment modifiers make no allowance for the relative size of formations.  Is that correct and, if so, what is the logic behind that?

David liked
David
(@david)
Designer Admin
13/09/2020 8:16 am  
Posted by: @niggle

As far as I can see the Assessment modifiers make no allowance for the relative size of formations.  Is that correct and, if so, what is the logic behind that?

You're not wrong. Methodology employed was not that a larger Formation would take Fatigue slower, but rather that it would have a higher threshold for Fatigue before it will exit engagement. The downside is that a all Formations degrade in the micro (skirmishing prowess, combat prowess) at nominally equal rates, however, the larger Formation, having a higher tolerance, can exit an engagement and return more times and at a higher strength than a smaller one.

-David

ReplyQuote
Share: